Trump Secretly Switched Planes in Turkey Amid Iranian Threat, Report Says

US president was publicly shown boarding Air Force One before being moved to a smaller military aircraft in an operation designed to conceal his whereabouts, The Washington Post reports

By Abdullahi Yusuf

US President Donald Trump secretly left Turkey aboard a smaller military aircraft last month after an alleged Iranian threat against him, while the White House publicly maintained that he was travelling aboard Air Force One, The Washington Post has reported.

The elaborate security operation was carried out after Trump attended a NATO summit in Ankara on July 7 and 8, according to the newspaper, which cited a US official and other people familiar with the operation.

Trump was publicly seen boarding the older Air Force One in Ankara, with television cameras recording his departure. But, according to the report, he was subsequently moved from the aircraft to a smaller US Air Force C-32A using an airport catering truck.

The manoeuvre was intended to conceal Trump’s actual location from the public, journalists and some White House staff members, the Post reported.

The aircraft used as a decoy later departed Turkey, while Trump travelled separately aboard the C-32A.

The operation took place against the backdrop of renewed military tensions between Washington and Tehran and came a night after US forces resumed strikes on Iran following the breakdown of negotiations between the two countries, according to the report.

The Post said the security measures reflected concerns over an alleged threat to Trump’s life attributed to Iran.

The White House did not dispute that heightened security measures had been used to protect the president but defended the decision to take precautions.

White House Communications Director Steven Cheung said the presidential aircraft, which was provided to the United States by Qatar and has since been designated as Air Force One, had been equipped with high-level security systems to protect Trump.

“As the president has said recently, there are many enemies of America who have their sights on him, and we use every tool at our disposal to address those threats,” Cheung said.

The reported deception meant that journalists travelling with the presidential entourage believed Trump was aboard Air Force One. Some White House staff were also reportedly unaware that he had been transferred to another aircraft.

The operation highlights the security challenges surrounding Trump’s international travel at a time of heightened tensions between the United States and Iran.

Trump had travelled to Ankara for the NATO summit, where leaders of the military alliance gathered for talks focused on defence and security. His presence in Turkey came as Washington’s confrontation with Tehran was entering another volatile phase.

The reported flight operation also raises questions about the extent to which presidential movements can be concealed even when the president’s departure is being publicly covered.

For the White House, however, the episode underscores the priority placed on protecting the president from threats whose nature and credibility are not fully disclosed publicly.

The Washington Post’s account has not been independently confirmed in all its details, and the White House has not publicly provided a full account of the aircraft switch.

But the reported operation offers a rare glimpse into the security measures surrounding the US president and the lengths to which officials may go to conceal his movements when authorities believe his safety could be at risk.

...........................................
...........................................

SPONSORED

SPONSORED

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *