Zaria Mosque Reconstruction Collapses, Three Injured
By Sadiq Abdulfatah
Three people were injured on Wednesday after a section of the Zaria Central Mosque, currently under reconstruction, collapsed during construction work in Zaria, Kaduna State.
The incident occurred when part of the second-floor decking near the southern minaret gave way while workers were carrying out casting on the structure.
Witnesses said the injured victims, believed to be construction workers, were quickly taken to a hospital for treatment, while no deaths were recorded.
Following the collapse, the construction area was sealed off as workers began clearing debris from the affected section of the building.
Attempts to get comments from the site engineer were unsuccessful, as sources said he had accompanied the injured workers to the hospital.
The spokesman of the Zazzau Emirate Council, Abdullahi Kwarbai, declined to comment directly on the incident but said the reconstruction project had already been handed over to a technical committee and the construction company in charge of the work.
He added that the project officially commenced after a formal groundbreaking ceremony.
Source: People’s Gazette


