US Presses Netanyahu Over Settler Siege of Palestinian Homes

US pressure follows the blockade of three homes in Qusra, where Palestinian families, including a Palestinian-American family, have reportedly been trapped without basic supplies

By Abdullahi Yusuf

The United States is pressing Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to publicly condemn a settler siege that has trapped Palestinian families inside their homes in the occupied West Bank village of Qusra, according to US and Israeli officials.

As reported by Arab News, the pressure comes after Israeli settlers reportedly blocked access to three Palestinian homes for nearly a week, leaving about 15 residents, including two children, unable to freely enter or leave their properties.

The United Nations has reported that the families have been deprived of essential supplies, including water and electricity, amid the continuing blockade.

A US official and an Israeli official said Washington began pushing Netanyahu to condemn the siege after learning that one of the besieged homes belongs to a Palestinian-American family.

US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, despite his strong support for Israeli settlements, publicly condemned the settlers involved in the blockade as “Israeli terrorists” on Thursday.

Netanyahu has not publicly addressed the Qusra siege. His office and the White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

France also condemned the actions, calling on Israel to arrest and prosecute the settlers responsible and protect Palestinian civilians.

The French Foreign Ministry described the occupation of Palestinian homes and violence against residents as serious abuses and demanded that Israeli authorities bring those responsible to justice.

Residents said the siege has continued for six days, creating fear and uncertainty inside the isolated homes.

Aysha Hassan, who lives in one of the affected properties, said settlers remained near the houses and that residents were afraid. She provided footage showing groups of settlers below the homes.

Video obtained by Reuters also showed several settlers gathered around a tent outside one of the houses. One person appeared to throw stones toward the surrounding Palestinian village while another brought chairs to the area.

Israeli military vehicles and soldiers later arrived, after which the tent was removed.

The Israeli military said settlers had erected the structure and that its soldiers dismantled it while claiming to protect local residents. The statement came after Israeli troops had deployed heavily in Qusra and occupied several village properties.

The events have intensified criticism of Netanyahu’s government, which has overseen rapid settlement expansion across the occupied West Bank despite widespread international opposition.

Rights organizations say settlers have repeatedly sought to establish footholds around Qusra and neighboring Jalud, potentially creating territorial links between smaller outposts and larger Israeli settlements.

The siege reportedly began over the weekend when settlers blocked the road leading to the three Palestinian homes and erected a tent in front of the properties, preventing residents from moving freely. Water and electricity supplies had also reportedly been cut.

The Israeli military said troops had been deployed in Qusra since Thursday to maintain security and protect residents.

However, footage from earlier in the week appeared to show Israeli personnel in military clothing joining settlers for prayers at the tent. The military said disciplinary measures would be taken against any soldiers involved.

The incident has added to growing concerns over settler violence across the West Bank, where approximately three million Palestinians live alongside about 500,000 Israeli settlers.

According to Peace Now, the Israeli settlement-monitoring organization, the West Bank contains around 146 Israeli settlements and approximately 390 smaller outposts.

Critics say the Qusra siege illustrates how settler violence and territorial expansion are placing increasing pressure on Palestinian communities, while the Israeli government faces mounting demands to prevent civilians from being driven from their homes and land.

...........................................
...........................................

SPONSORED

SPONSORED

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *