Iran Drops 60-Day Talks Deadline After US Violations
By Sadiq Abdulfatah
Iran has said the 60-day period set out in its June 17 agreement with the United States is no longer relevant, accusing Washington of violating the deal before talks could begin.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei made the statement on Monday during his weekly press briefing, according to the semi-official Tasnim news agency. He said the agreement did not set a fixed “60-day deadline” for Iran to reach a deal with the US.
Baqaei explained that the 60-day period was meant for talks on sanctions relief and nuclear issues. He said the period could also have been extended if the two sides failed to reach an agreement.
He stressed that Iran does not make decisions under pressure or accept ultimatums and deadlines imposed by other countries. According to him, the planned talks never got underway because of what Tehran described as US violations of the agreement.
“Due to the flagrant and widespread violation of the memorandum of understanding by the United States, no dialogue was started just a few weeks after its signing,” Baqaei said.
He added that the 60-day period had therefore lost its relevance because the US had already undermined the agreement. Baqaei also said talks with Oman over the movement of ships through the Strait of Hormuz were still continuing despite security concerns.
He said efforts to prepare a map showing maritime routes had taken longer because of security problems linked to US and Israeli actions, the involvement of several parties and what he described as disruptive activities.
The June 17 agreement was reached as part of efforts to reduce tensions between Iran and the US. It was intended to provide a basis for talks on Iran’s nuclear programme and sanctions, as well as maritime security around the Strait of Hormuz.


