IRGC Coordinates 26 Ships Through Hormuz Amid Tensions
By Sadiq Abdulfatah
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) says it coordinated the movement of 26 vessels through the Strait of Hormuz within the past 24 hours, as negotiations between Tehran and Washington over maritime access and regional tensions remain unresolved.
In a statement reported by Iran’s state-linked ISNA news agency on Wednesday, the IRGC said all vessel movements through the strategic waterway are now being carried out under its approval and in coordination with its naval forces, reinforcing its control over traffic in the area.
Later the same day, Iranian authorities published a new maritime map on social media platform X, outlining what they described as a controlled zone in the Strait of Hormuz where ships would require Iranian authorisation to pass. The zone reportedly stretches between key coastal points in Iran and the United Arab Emirates at both entrances of the strait.
The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world’s most critical shipping routes, with about one-fifth of global energy supplies passing through it before tensions escalated earlier this year following the outbreak of conflict involving the United States and Israel against Iran.
Since then, Iran has moved to restrict passage through the waterway, while Washington responded with countermeasures affecting Iranian ports and oil exports, further intensifying global energy uncertainty.
The situation has continued to draw international concern, with shipping data confirming ongoing tanker movements through the strait, including vessels carrying crude oil bound for Asia, despite the tense security environment.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has warned that prolonged disruption in the region could trigger a wider global food crisis within months, saying the impact is already moving through energy, agriculture and food supply chains.
The agency said rising costs in energy, fertiliser and production inputs could eventually lead to higher global food inflation if instability continues.
Meanwhile, diplomatic exchanges between Tehran and Washington continue, with reports of limited progress but ongoing warnings from both sides over possible escalation if negotiations collapse.
Iranian officials have insisted they will respond strongly to any renewed military action, while the United States has also signalled it may return to force if a deal is not reached.
Source: Saudi Gazette


